I think more people, myself included, are becoming more aware of our effect on the Earth and why we should choose carefully the products we use. And the packaging on the outside is just as important as what’s inside.
I recently went on a fridge hunt to compare how many products I had that were in paper packaging like cartons and how many were in plastic. I found the majority of everything in my fridge was plastic or glass except for my orange juice.
I do recycle everything I can- paper, plastic, glass, etc. but was unaware of some of the benefits of using cartons:
- Cartons are made from renewable materials – more than 70 percent of the carton is made from paper, all from trees from responsibly managed forests.
- Packaging plays a very important role in keeping food and beverages fresh. The environmental impact of a package is just as important as the contents inside.
- Cartons are recyclable where facilities exist. Recycled cartons are used to make products such as tissue, office paper, wall boards and other building materials.
- Cartons are made with renewable energy. More than 50 percent of the energy used to make the paper in Evergreen Packaging’s cartons comes from biomass.
- Responsible forestry promotes new forest growth, and these forests help to diminish greenhouse gases. Forests remove carbon from the atmosphere and store it in trees.
Unfortunately there isn’t carton recycling in my area but I was able to enter my email address to be alerted when it does become available. To learn if your community accepts cartons for recycling, please visit www.recyclecartons.com or check with your local recycling program.
Even if there isn’t carton recycling in your area, you can still make a difference by sharing the choose carton story on Facebook and Twitter. When they reach 1500 combined Tweets and Facebook posts, using hashtag #choosecartons, they’ll donate $15,000 to Habitat for Humanity!
Will you choose cartons?
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Evergreen and received a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.